Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Bored

First I'd like to say I'm not really bored...my grandma Phyllis always yelled at me for using that word. "If you are bored find something to do," she'd say.

I haven't written much lately because there isn't much to say. I go to school, clean my apartment, play football and four-square with the neighbor kids, hang out with friends, tutor, and work on some small projects. I'm excited for next week because it's my spring break! I'll have more to tell you all then!

Although I'm completely infatuated with the arrival of Spring, I've sworn off talking about it because dull people talk about the weather all the time. Anyway, I finally noticed the "slowness" people had informed me about when I came to Transylvania. I think I was just too worried about learning the ropes in the summer, schools started in the fall and made me busy, and then people disappeared in winter...but now that all the people are back I've noticed the slow shuffle of people walking down the street, and even the slow-talking people I speak to at the bus-stop. I like this pace of living! Maybe that's why I feel like my eyes are finally opened to all around me...it only took me about 11 months to get there! HA!

Today I decided to walk the path along the river going home from school. It's a little longer, but exercise is good. While walking slowly home, I saw a gypsy market being set up. I don't know what it's like, but tomorrow I hope I can find out! From a distance, it reminds me of the markets set-up along the Covered Bridge Festival route in Indiana.

I've been fighting an uphill battle with this Peace Corps loneliness thing. You'll be happy to know that my loneliness has taken a backseat to my longing to play golf! It's currently the week of the Masters, and seeing the spectacle and tradition makes me long for a day at the country club! I'm dying to feel my 7-iron making a clean impact in the center of a ProV-I from 150 yards out in the middle of the fairway! Maybe I should be embarrassed to admit that, but I'm really not!

Happy Easter! It's my favorite holiday--don't forget why we celebrate it! I could definitely go for some stale Peeps right now. MMMM! Easter here in Romania is a week later because of the Orthodox (Julian) calendar. I think I explained that last year though. Hooray for the end of Lent! I can eat meat again!

Well, that's about all for this post! I'm on Spring Break next week so I'll fill you all in on one of the perks of the Peace Corps, traveling, when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment