Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thoughts from the Norwell library

Sitting in the Norwell library/media center, I've recently had several epiphanies about life and growing up. This, by no means, has anything to do with the fact that I am going to be 24 in two days! Here is a list of some of those thoughts:

1.) I was a slacker in high school. I should have worked harder! (thankfully I made up for that in college)
2.) Students really can surpass your highest expectations. --That's awesome!
3.) It's still freezing in Norwell High School and the water still tastes like blood.
4.) No matter how much I've seen, achieved, or grown up...I still feel like I'm 17 when I walk into the school everyday.
5.) I am a teacher now...my perspective has totally changed! The teachers at Norwell really are nice, fun, caring, and sometimes crazy people. I'm glad I graduated from a high school with terrific teachers.
6.) READING IS VERY IMPORTANT! The intellectual difference between students that read and those that don't is astonishing.
7.) It's a great feeling when you find out a student shares your passion for something!
8.) You would not believe the conversations that go on in the teacher's lounge!
9.) There is a certain solidarity between current athletes and alumni (I'm mostly talking about basketball)...we've gone through the same things and understand.
10.) I miss the classroom!! The highlights of each of my days involves talking about history or government with a student! I know I'm a nerd!

Growing up is awesome! I always thought I wanted to go back to high school because it was such a great time in my life, but the present is so much better! I miss a place that no longer exists...that happens sometimes. Once you've left you are never the same! Experiences, failures, successes, friendships, relationships, education...they all change us. The home, school, etc. that we miss is just a memory. Live life by using those memories to give you the confidence and ambition to go make new ones!

1 comment:

  1. Tara, I couldn't help but comment. As a RPCV (Zaire, '79-81, Fish Culture) living in Norwell (MA), I wanted to give you one pc of advice for your PCV duration: be flexible. Enjoy the moment. For me, it was a like a 2+ year retreat. and the best opportunity to understand a little bit more about the rest of the world...our son is now a 2nd yr at Beloit College, and thinking about PC. Perhaps when you are there you can set up another blog - he's interested in Eastern Europe as well. We spoke to some very recent women returnees from Ukraine in Boston at the JFK Library last week (At the Shriver movie presentation - An American Idealist) and they had really enjoyed their time. there. Phone: 781.659.1690, if you would like to ask questions - I'm giving a talk the end of Feb on my PC time in Zaire - that's why I was looking at Norwell Library, and your blog was third down in Google. Only this Norwell is in MA. As we said in the Peace Corps, have a good life! Steve Ivas

    ps: Hope you had a Happy Birthday! si

    ReplyDelete