Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Turning 24

Twenty-four years ago today it was -13 below, which is not too far off how cold it is today.

On this day in history: the Iranian hostage crisis ended in 1981, Indira Gandhi was elected as the first female prime minister of India (why is it taking the U.S. so long to respect female politicians/presidents.), William Pitt became the youngest prime minster of England at 24 yrs. old...Those are pretty lofty accomplishments, but I hope to make my own.

William Pitt became prime minister at 24 yrs. old...what have I done?? Today I turned 24! It's such an arbitrary number that I'm not exactly sure how to respond to this feeling of urgency. It all depends on my current stage in life; I have just graduated college, I've joined the Peace Corps and am waiting to go to Romania, I'm single but most of my friends are married, and today I became another year older. I feel like I'm on the edge of what my life is to become. In May I'll take a leap of faith (think Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) and forever be changed. That's so exciting, and I'm smiling because I'm thinking about what my next birthday will be like. Perhaps I'll be in Bucareşt, Istanbul, or Prague...maybe I'll be on a train to my next adventure...maybe I'll be in a classroom looking into the eyes of the future...or just maybe I'll be doing something that I don't even know exists yet.

When I'm 24 -- I'm gonna say goodbye to my family, friends, and Indiana. I'm going to move to Romania for 2 years to serve in the Peace Corps!! I'm going to teach people English to help them increase their chances of success in this world of globalization. I'm going to travel extensively throughout Europe. I'm going to volunteer in an orphanage. I'm going to do my part to stop the genocide in Darfur. I'm gonna watch a few of my best friends get married. I'm gonna continue to grow in my relationship with Christ! And so much more...

Wow! Now that I think about it...24 and 2008 is going to be awesome! Here's to hoping that you have a great year too no matter what your age!

No comments:

Post a Comment