Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Friday, July 31, 2009

A great reminder of what it means to have a "servant's heart"

As the last day of July is quietly put to bed I figured I better write about the past month. It began with relaxation after a fantastic vacation in Greece with my family and ended with more relaxing, but in between was craziness! I spent a week working at a camp up in the northern portion of Romania, near a city called Satu Mare. (Google it if you are curious) At the camp were 90+ kids, many of which only spoke Hungarian a language I speak next to nothing of, that I and 4 other PCV's were responsible for entertaining and teaching English. Exhausting! Sleeping in the same room as ten 11-12 year old girls is not conducive to the amount of sleep I need to function. Needless to say, all of us volunteers survived.

Satu Mare and camp pictures

Now what I really want to talk about...while at camp and in Satu Mare, I met what could possibly be the nicest couple I've ever met in my 25 years on this earth. Loren and Ottilia and their children Mate and Dora are an adorable and extremely generous family. They stayed up late to wait on Kaitlin and I to arrive at the train station and to stay a night in their apartment. They prepared a wonderful spread for dinner and breakfast for us. Ottilia went out of her way to care for all of us volunteers during camp. The children are precious and constantly greeted me with hugs and high-fives! Then after camp they invited us to stay another night...we went out for a fantastic meal (the best I've had here in Romania) and then we toured Satu Mare before stumbling into and out of a Timisoreana Beer Festival in town. I was just blown away by their graciousness and the fact that they did it just because that's who they are. What a great example of what it means to serve your fellow man and expect nothing in return.

I really hope to keep in touch with them and maybe even stop in for a visit if I'm up north again.

1 comment:

  1. Tara,

    I stumbled upon your blog about a month ago and have been following ever since. You have a great way with words.

    I am currently a PCV in Honduras. Just wanted to say great job and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete