Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What I've Been Missing (Part 2)

I am often asked, by people at home and people here in Romania, what it is that I miss the most from home. I usually come up with some goofy thing to say to make people laugh. School started back up for teachers on Sept. 1, and I've been answering lots of questions and dealing with the amazement from my colleagues that I didn't go back to America for the summer. After having a long conversation with my friend Valentin, I've decided to make a list of the things I miss most so I can easily answer this question in the future. I thought I'd share it with you.

A List of Things I Miss From America/Back Home in Indiana (in no particular order):
  • Of course--Family and Friends
  • Mexican food!
  • Going to church on Sunday morning
  • the Lake
  • Fairs and Festivals. Specifically Street Fair and 4-H Fair
  • Sunday dinner at Grandma's house and all of Grandma's cooking
  • family reunions every December and June
  • dominating everyone in Jeopardy. lol
  • having packages delivered to my doorstep
  • Driving and my car (I hope the Turtle is still running when I get home!)
  • baseball games
  • gyms where it is acceptable for me to lift weights
  • Wii. Beating my little brother in MarioKart Racing
  • breakfast at the Snug or Richards
  • casseroles. hashbrown, green bean, etc...it's just not the same here.
  • country and Christian music on the radio
  • Jefferson Pointe
  • rodeos and demolition derbies
  • candy apples
  • Friday night high school football games, College Gameday Saturdays, and the Colts on Sundays
  • tailgating
  • rectangular hay bales
  • thick steaks, brats, and good cheeseburgers on the grill
  • Buffalo Wings and fun nights at B-dubs!
  • a shower curtain
  • adjustable water temperature
  • a person at school that will make copies for you
  • the Library w/ more than 5 books in English
  • my BlackBerry even though I have two cell phones here.
  • being able to talk to people without scheduling it because of the time difference.
  • going to the movie theater
  • Chinese take-out
  • my friends' weddings
  • haircuts and eyebrow waxing
There are more things, but I can't think of any right now. Don't think for a second that I sit around dwelling on all of these things that I'm missing. For each of these things there are multiple things I'm experiencing for the first time, learning about, exploring, and enjoying! I'm loving life

No comments:

Post a Comment