I could have easily locked myself in my apartment and ignored all the screaming children below my balcony and all the knocking on my door, although then I'd really have no excuse for all the cleaning and laundry I've been putting off. Believe me I was tempted (I can only take hearing MISS TARA, MISS TARA so many times before my head starts to ache)...then I heard all the maxims the Peace Corps likes to inspire us with such as:
The Toughest Job You'll Ever Love
How Far Are You Willing To Go
Make yourself go outside your comfort zone!
Say YES to every opportunity!
These may seem obvious and a tad cliche, and they are, but that doesn't make them easy to follow! Being outside my comfort zone has been a daily occurrence over the past 16 months of my life, and yet I've found there is always another threshold to surpass when it comes to being comfortable.
I like to let things come to me. One of my favorite activities is to choose a bench in town and just sit while taking in the world around me. Sometimes people sit down next to me and we strike up a conversation; other times people simply stare at me like I'm an alien (which is some ways here in Romania may not be far from the truth). This is one part of my weekly "social day" as my friend Ioana calls it. My "social day" is a random acts of kindness kind of thing. I just go out and do nice things for people. Simple as that! I've always admired John Wooden, and he says "You can't live a perfect day without doing something nice for someone who can never repay you." Wise words from the Wizard of Westwood. I'll never want repaid...I simply want them to pass it on!
Saying YES to nearly everything lately has driven me to the point of exhaustion. And it's probably the happiest I've been in reference to feeling like an effective PCV (Peace Corps Volunteer). I'm not sure how long I can keep up this pace, but I'll try my darnedest to keep doing the same things wherever I am for the rest of my life!
Alright! Well I better get going again! I'm loving my life in Transylvania!
This is a little corny below, but I definitely use coffee to get me through the day...if you want information on the Peace Corps click below!

No comments:
Post a Comment