Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Rainy Day in Tarnaveni

I like rainy days. They give me a chance to catch up on the things I put off when it is sunny and beautiful outdoors. Today I have 3 hours at school with a fereastra (window) at 11. The mechanic at school cancelled his hour because he is very busy preparing the school for winter so I'm currently sitting in the cancelaria (teacher's lounge) writing a message to you all.

I feel good about everything. I feel like I'm really busy, although I'm being careful not to confuse activity with accomplishment; there is still a lot of work to be done in the time I have left here in Romania. I have lots of projects in the planning stages, my classes are all going well, and I've got lots of personal tutoring sessions scheduled weekly. However, there is still something missing at school. My counterpart is distant and distracted...this limits the amount of work we are able to accomplish together. I've branched outside of my school to start working with the kids' club and Rroma (gypsy) school in town. I wish I would have known about the kids' club earlier in my PC service because it is a great resource for my town, but it is also poorly promoted. My colleagues are often surprised when I tell them where I volunteer in T-Veni in addition to my school, but I get a lot of satisfaction out of going to the parts of town in which people don't expect me to go. I've had meetings with the directors (principals), and I hope that Tarnaveni will open its arms to another volunteer in the future like it has to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment