Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Sunday, November 29, 2009

School's Out until 2010 for me.

I've spent a significant amount of time being angry over the current situation in the Romanian education system, but I've given myself some time to process and calm down a bit before writing this post.  Due to the current economic crisis, the Romanian gov't decided to reduce teachers' salaries by 30% this year in order cut back the budget.  The result was that this semester is shortened by 10 days because teachers aren't being paid for them. I understand why teachers wouldn't work when they aren't being paid, and I liked seeing the passion for teaching and children come out in the arguments that were had concerning this situation in the teacher's lounge. It's also interesting because, in the two years I've been here in Romania, teacher's have been promised the doubling of their salaries (which never occurred and resulted in strikes), and then they have had a large portion of their already too small salaries lessened by 30%.  I understand the necessity of making difficult decisions, but I will never be a supporter of any decision that takes valuable hours of learning away from children.

That being said, I like vacations!!  Who doesn't??  School is out until 2010 for me because of the Dec. 1 Romanian national unification holiday and added vacation days combined with a trip to London I will be taking next week!  That's right!!  LONDON!!  My friend/student Ioana received an interview invitation at Cambridge University in the U.K.  She asked me to come along with her and of course I couldn't say no!  So as much as I'll miss my students and colleagues...I'm enjoying some free days in my Romanian hometown, taking a trip to London, and then getting all packed up and flying back to Indiana for Christmas!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving...I certainly did!  I'm currently writing about my Thanksgiving 2009 adventure.  I'll post it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment