Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Friday, November 2, 2007

Beginning this long journey

After waiting months and months, I finally got a call from my Peace Corps placement officer today. He said that my placement has cleared and that I would be perfect for a specific placement he is reccommending me for. Hopefully that turns out to be true! I will be leaving in May 2008 for a yet-to-be-determined country in Eastern Europe. So until then I just realized that I have an insane number of things to get done. I need to defer my student loans, start learning a new language, write a will, complete numerous things the Peace Corps will be sending me, and find time to spend with friends and family. All of this sounds stressful, but I'm feeling alright about it. It's nice to have until May to prepare to leave. So far all this waiting has helped me prepare mentally, physically, and spiritually. The only thing that really bothers me is that I won't be here for Kay's wedding. I try to be positive about all the things I'll miss, but I often find that I feel guilty and selfish. I know I shouldn't...there's nothing wrong with following your dreams right?! It's just that people don't seem to understand what I'm about, my family and friends included. Hopefully I can find it within me to drop some of my barriers and let people in. I know I'll need their support and prayers while I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment