Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Monday, November 19, 2007

Dependency on technology

Today, it became clear to me just how reliant on technology each of us is. By us, of course, I am referring to Americans and to be more specific my generation. I hope that the Peace Corps will help me simplify my life a bit, but I am finding that I am just finding more technologically advanced ways to live in a developing country. My BlackBerry is a prime example of this, but I love it too much to truly care how dependent I am on it. I have tried to think about all the Peace Corps volunteers of the 60's...they wanted to heed President Kennedy's call to "ask what we can do for our country." They were willing to give up all the luxuries of home to follow their calling. Would I still be joining the Peace Corps without access to email, my cell phone, or my iPod?? This is just a thought to ponder for each of us. I guess I'll see soon enough how I will deal with less technology!

No comments:

Post a Comment