Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Constant state of awkward.

So you know that one part in Forrest Gump where he’s sitting on the bench and he tells the lady that just got off work that her shoes look comfortable; and in return she says “my feet hurt.” Well I have been having that conversation in my own head over the past few days. Just thought I’d mention this to invoke some sympathy from one of my avid readers… (haha I know there’s like 3 of you!) I’m not sure conversations actually happen on park benches in Romania because all I see people doing is making out! I am not used to this much PDA!

Funny things happen everyday and because this morning I woke up and felt like I’d rather be getting a root-canal at the dentist or being lowered into the pit of snakes in Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark, I needed something to brighten my day. Luckily our afternoon classes had a British man named Simon... Needless to say he is pretty entertaining, and I learned some more classroom activities to add to my million I've gathered over the last 6 years.

It’s a little tense at my gazda’s right now (you can almost hear the egg shells crack when I walk into the apartment)…but I’m starting to realize that I don’t know the daily struggles and stresses of my gazda. I need to be understanding and empathize a little with their situation because they have been so supportive of me. There are cultural differences that I can’t comprehend yet. Consequently, I kind of just hang out in my room during the week…I’m trying to study more, read my Bible, and write in my journals. I feel like I’ve been in Romania for months rather than weeks. I really do enjoy it here…I’m just struggling a bit with my gazda and their insistence on treating me like I’m 14. At least I’ll be out and about all weekend. This weekend the Peace Corps Director Ronald Tschetter is going to be in Romania. This is a very big deal, and I’m both excited and nervous to meet him. I’ll write more about all that in my next post.

All of you at home…I miss you so much! I miss everything about Indiana and Wells County. (I'm picturing the opening shots of Hoosiers as Norman Dale is driving through the countryside toward Milan). I miss driving through Bluffton with my windows down and people waving at me. I miss Sunday dinners at Grandma’s after church. I miss Bummies, JBG’s pizza, and El Camino! I miss the smell of fresh cut grass after mom’s mowed. I miss watching the church softball games, playing softball w/ the girls, cookouts, golf, bonfires, Trevor’s baseball games, hanging out with my little brother…I even miss my car (Turtle). So keep that in mind while you are enjoying the comforts of home and the joy of having the ones you love around you. I am jealous, and you better believe I’m gonna live it all up when I get back! For now I’m enjoying adding to my own story and the surprises that come with living in a foreign country…I serve a mighty God and he shows me new things everyday…I hope you can see the big and small blessings in life!

For future info…in August I’ll be posting an address where I can receive mail/packages. If any of you would like to (which would be much appreciated I promise) there are a few things I’ve thought of that I would like.
-DVD copies of movies/tv shows
-Magazines
-Twizzlers, other candy, taco seasoning, and a box of Chef Boyardee pizza
-Pictures or postcards from the U.S.
-A Bluffton News Banner so I can take a picture of myself and be in the paper!! haha
-Letters and stuff!

2 comments:

  1. Well this is no fun...they don't show you the blog post while you comment. For people who occasionally suffer the memory span of a goldfish--like me--this is a serious problem. lol

    OH! I remember now. I was going to tell you about PDA! In Spain it was like that, too. It's one of those things that never really gets less weird, you just get more used to being uncomfortable. Does that make sense?

    Haha anyway, glad to see you're taking pictures and enjoying the experience so far, despite homesickness and other stuff. I'm sure you'll persevere, cause you're awesome! :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love PDA!!! (But I think you already know this) Wes would hate that aspect of Romanian culture, even though his wife loves it!

    You are such a great writer Tara! I love the way you describe things with your words. Your connections to movies and your colorful adjectives really help us understand what you are feeling and seeing.

    I would love to have your address once you get that. Wes and I leave in two days for Georgia. The movers are out in his garage as we speak. I know our move is not as far as yours has been, but I too have found myself really trying to soak in the things I love about being home in Wells County. But remember that no matter where we go in life we always take a little bit of home with us. (I'm not nearly as philisophical as you! I'm not even sure I spelled philisophical correctly!)

    I love you Tara! Your head and heart are in the right places... trusting in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete