Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

PST Week 2




So this week is going well, but it's a little intense. The director of the Peace Corps is coming to Romania so everyone is busy preparing for his arrival and subsequent travels around the country. Besides that language class and teaching stuff is taking up the majority of my time...that will always be the case I'm afraid until August 1 so bear with me.

Sunday some of us had a little Romanian dance party with Jessica's gazda (host family). It was a fun time! I've been exploring Ploiesti, and I hope to get out of the city and experience more of Romania very soon. I have been a little lax about taking pictures so I'll have to get better with that. For now I'll post a couple pictures of my walk to the bus and my bloc. I'm definately starting to notice some cultural differences, but I need a little more time in order to articulate them fully using multiple examples. One thing all of us Americans have noticed is that people here will not smile or make eye contact with you on the sidewalk/street. It's also not acceptable for a woman to lock eyes with a man on the street...it's seen as an invitation. It's hard to get used to! Well that is all for now...I'm sorry this isn't longer but I really can't think of much because I'm tired and my whole like is dominated by PST. I promise it'll get better eventually! Until next time this has been Tara, your friendly Peace Corps volunteer (trainee actually) from Romania!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog! It's like being inside your mind... someplace I have always wanted to go! haha I love you! Keep us up to date!

    ReplyDelete