Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Week 4 of PST is done...halfway through Practicum

Wow! Lots has happened since the last time I updated my blog. Right now I'm enjoying the cartofi prajiti (french fries) and a Sprite at the mall.

This past week was the first week of practicum. Practicum is an opportunity for all of us to get some experience teaching in a Romanian classroom. It's not entirely representative of a Romanian class though because most of the students are fairly advanced English speakers. It's been fun for me to be back in the classroom, and this week went wonderfully!! I really do love being a teacher! Next week I have to teach 3rd grade!! AHH!!! For those of you that know me well this is not a good thing because I'm not built to teach little kids...However I'm going to make the best out of it and try to have fun! In the afternoons we still have language classes, and they are going reasonably well. I just need to study a bit more. Friday we didn't have language class and instead I learned about Romanian history and literature! Yeah...I loved that!!
Last weekend I went to Brasov. It was awesome! It's such a beautiful and historic city. I'm including some pictures of the trip for you all to see! For those of you on Facebook you can see more! It was the first experience I've had so far where I was like...wow! This is beautiful, and I'm so happy to be here in this moment! Is that clear?? I'm not sure...it's hard to put into words the feeling I had looking out from a Medieval fortification over one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen!


In other news...I've finally been given some freedom by my gazda to go out late. It was a bit of a misunderstanding on my part I guess...it's still difficult because I don't have a key, but I can make it work!
Thanks to all of you for the thoughts, prayers, and genuine concern! I just want to throw out that Nikki sent me a letter (she is #1 in my book right now!). It got here in 5 days so that's pretty quick! Feel free to send letters or small envelopes with candy in them! I'm dying for some sweetness!! If you don't have my address and want it email me or talk to my parents or friends!! I've had days where I miss home terribly, but overall things are good!

Peace and God Bless!! I hope this post finds you all doing well! Miss you everyday!!






2 comments:

  1. Tara! I love you! I'm glad your experiences so far in the Romanian classroom have been positive! I'd like to see you working with the 3rd graders...haha. I'm sure you'll do well regardless of what age you prefer teaching! I'm going to write a post on your facebook wall asking for your address. I can't think why I don't have it, and I want to be #1 in your book not Nikki. Just kidding. Anyway, things are going well for Wes and I. This is the first week where Wes is actually gone all day at work, so the boredom might set in for me a bit now. I still don't have a teaching job for next year or any good leads for that matter. I'm not sure what will end up happening. Well, I'm starting to ramble, but please know that I love you and I'm still praying for you! I went for a jog this morning and I thought about you a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 28, 2008

    Ms. Ulmer: I want to be #1 , not Kay nor Nikki. I need your address too. How much postage did Nikki need? Ace and I plan to visit Robins AFB over the 4th of July... (That is a holiday in the USA to celebrate our country's beginning in case you are becoming to Romanianized.)
    Love, Mrs. W

    ReplyDelete