During PST...there were multiple scenarios presented to us about how our school would possibly be and how we should respond to it. I can honestly say that none of the scenarios encompasses how my first day and teacher lounge experience was. Let me share a bit of what happened...
I got there too early. It is my curse...my friends and family know this. So I sat there not sure of what to do. A few of the people I'd already met at school took it upon themselves to get me introduced to anyone and everyone. So...Bună dimineață! Astă e Tara Ulmer, ea este profesoară de limba engleză din Statele Unite...so forth and so on (Good morning! This is Tara Ulmer, she is an English teacher from the USA...). This was said over and over again and was followed by a sighs, kisses, cheek pinching, nose touching, hugs...you get the point. If I didn't like to talk so much I could have gotten through the morning without saying a word. So far I've portrayed this as a little overwhelming, which is was, but it wasn't as bad as I make it out to be. Actually, it was an extremely warm welcome, and I greatly appreciated the hospitality! They'll learn that I don't need as much help as they think, but I do appreciate the willingness to take care of me. They are just so worried because I'm so far from home!
--I hope that makes you feel good Mom and Grandma!
My personal boundaries have officially been broken down. It took me a long time to even give my own family and friends hugs...the first day I meet people here they are kissing, hugging, etc. The art professor actually grabbed another young female teacher's ass this morning...HELLO! The guys crazy...but I can't handle that unless it's one of the two, new, hot young guys teaching at my school! HAHA!
So far...I have noticed some certain similarities with schools here and schools in the U.S. But the teacher's lounge experience I had today was much different than anything I've experienced before. Even though the English ladies at Norwell certainly have interesting conversations during lunch...the teacher's here blow them out of the water with sharing personal information. In general, Romanians are extremely sharing with details of their personal lives! Be careful asking Ce faci?? (How are you)...they'll be honest! It's not like in the states when you simply ask that as a formality. I hope things keep going the way they are going. Everyday I like this place more and more!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

As I read your descriptions, I have images of the gimnazia at which I taught in Lithuania floating through my head. Great memories, great students, and definately a challenging and rewarding experience.
ReplyDelete