Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Monday, September 15, 2008

The First Day of School

A few words to describe the first day of school: exciting, nerve-racking, fun, flowers, unknown...

A replica of my school
. Avram Iancu...the man my school is named after.

I enjoyed myself on the first day of school. I showed up at 8:30 to be early (big surprise right?!) for my first day. I learned that I only have 1 class on Mondays and Tuesdays...and 3 classes on Thursday and Friday. This makes my week a little different than I'm used to. Sometimes I don't go to school until noon and other days I leave at noon. Anyway, we started the day with the director talking on the loud-speaker and two priests from town saying a prayer. I appreciated the prayer in school. Then the dirigente (like homeroom teachers) went to get their classes in order. The other teachers, like myself, that are not dirigente, just waited around in the teacher's lounge. Then the director returned and asked me to go up to his office for sweets and coffee with a police officer, the two priests, and a french teacher. It was a weird combination and the conversations centered around travel and the people of Tarnaveni. I tried to keep up. There was a break from 10-11, and then I got to meet my classes. It was awkward at first; I think they are scared of me. I'm fairly certain that their English is better than they let on, but we will help each other. They had fun laughing at my Romanian, but that is okay with me. We gave each student their textbooks, had a croissant and milk, and then headed home with a million flowers in hand. I like my school, my colleagues, my students, and my town...I can do this for two years.




No comments:

Post a Comment