Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Fall Festival in Tarnaveni


When I say the words "fall" and "festival" I instantly think of Street Fair in Bluffton and Fall Festival in Evansville. Both of these places have been home to me, and now I have the Tarnaveni Festival to add to that list. It's basically a celebration for the harvest and wine season. It's your typical festival so I won't tell you things you already expect.

The festival in Tarnaveni came at a perfect time for me because this week has been tough. My favorite part of the festival was that my students invited me to hang out with them. We wandered the streets of tarnaveni, partook in all of the awesome food and fun, and jumped up and down for what seemed like forever at a concert. I didn't particularly like the music, but I did enjoy the bonding time with students. It's different here. In America, thanks to teachers that have abused the power they have as educators...there has to be a certain amount of disconnectedness between teachers and students. I've always been taught to be friendly without being their friend...but it really is genuinely nice to have personal relationships with students. (within reason of course, I'm not trying to promote anything wrong here) It's just nice to see teachers being examples inside and outside of the classroom without betraying the trust of the school and community.

I went off on a tangent there...sorry! The festival was great as I've already said. I spent the first half of the night with my students and counterpart and then stayed out late with my friends Dana and Relu. Seriously, I have the best community mentors! Beers and stories went on for hours...and I tried my best to keep up in Romanian. Dana helped me out when I couldn't understand due to others talking too fast or me having too many beers...I'm not sure which was the culprit!! I'm including some pictures for ya! The only thing missing from the festival was the candy and caramel apples...maybe next year I'll set up my own stand! haha!


No comments:

Post a Comment