Lately, I've been struggling a lot with the questions of whether or not I am doing any good here. The Country Director for Peace Corps Romania, Ken, said that this would be the greatest challenge here. You see, in most Peace Corps countries you are rewarded at first by the physical and mental challenges you overcome due to the living situation or the difference in customs. Here in Romania that immediate feeling of small accomplishment is limited due to the higher standard of living. However, I like to think of Romania as an iceburg country. As I've understood it, the Peace Corps came here in 1991 after the fall of communism and seeks to help them build their infrastructure from the grassroots level. (Keep in mind this is my opinion and not the Peace Corps' or U.S. Government's) Romania is, as of 2007, a part of the European Union...so it's difficult to see the need for the Peace Corps in a country not considered "third world." Anyway, back to my point...one of the biggest challenges I face is seeing any kind of accomplishment due to my daily work.
Today I got a little glimpse at what it feels like to make an impact and be a positive example. Two little girls have been waiting on me as I walk home from school on Mondays and Tuesdays. The both live in the same apartment complex as I do so it is convenient for them to walk home with me. They aren't my students so I'm still curious how they know my name...but it's no surprise that they know "the American teacher" that is living in Tarnaveni. The two girls and I went on a walk and chatted in Romanian this afternoon. After a while I quizzed them in English while we had some juice we bought as the local store. While we were walking around I stumbled a bit but collected myself by doing a little skip...granted I would be made fun of for this by just about anyone I know at home...but I digress. The girls immediately picked up on my skip, and they proceeded to copy it. This was just a small reminder that it's not necessarily the work I do here that gives me purpose...it can be as simple as being an example in my life and everyday activities.
It's an important lesson that seems so simple. We all know that young children copy many of the things that we do...but it goes beyond that. We all (adults, teens, children...) either consciously or subconsciously pick up on the actions and mannerisms of others. The people we respect we try to emulate so keep that in mind today. You can be doing a great service for someone by simply providing them with a good example.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment