Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day!!!

Who will it be???
The Peace Corps is an apolitical organization so I put the only Obama poster I had saved that doesn't say Obama, but I guess by me saying this now I'm kind of making that point obsolete...oh well! I'm kind of going crazy today! Everyone at school knows how excited I am that today our nation takes a giant leap into the future. In their opinion, Obama represents a change back to the respected America they remember from 8 years ago. Today was a stressful day for me because my TEFL program manager came to observe me and meet with the director and my colleagues. It all went well, but I'm still a little bit of a mess because I just can't wait for the results. It's hard being 7 hours ahead of the U.S. on election day!
Today during our meeting my colleagues were discussing me and they mentioned the word conservative! I quickly put that misunderstanding to rest...I've never like the labels conservative and liberal. To me, it makes it seem like it's either one or the other, and I favor more of a constitutional communitarian viewpoint... if you are far right or far left I would call you a radical!! Granted I am a Midwestern, farm girl from a predominantly RED state so it's not a stretch to assume I may be conservative politically...much to my regret! In 1992, when I was 8 years old, I remember sitting at the lunch table with my fellow 2nd graders in Lancaster Elementary debating the election (For lunch, I assume we had peanut butter balls with red, white, and blue sprinkles as was typical in my childhood) even then I was embarrassed that my state was the only Midwestern state to vote for George H.W. Bush, and that was only because Dan Quale was on the ballot as the Rep. Vice Presidential nominee (for those of you that have forgotten this was the man who put the "e" in potato and gave the "Murphy Brown speech" and happened to be from Indiana (don't judge) and Arizona. Little 8 year old Tara was disturbed and made up her mind right then and there to not vote for George Bush in their mock election that day...little did she know she'd again be given that choice in her first Presidential election and another war in the Middle East would be a hot topic! Yes, even 8 yr. old Tara didn't like war thanks to a current events project in between dia-rama's in 1st grade!! Okay...I've made myself pretty clear I think, but I just hope you take advantage of this historic day in U.S. history! Don't let me down Hoosiers! Regardless of what candidate you choose, VOTE!

This post goes out to my dad who affectionately loves to tell his eldest daughter (me), a registered Democrat, Government teaching, political science minor, tree-hugging, Peace Corps volunteer that her vote doesn't count because he voted opposite after letting his mind be swayed...I really want to say brainwashed...by conservative (oops I don't like those terms) talk radio! Love ya Dad!! P.S. Thanks for donating to the Obama campaign without Dad knowing Mom!! I appreciate the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment