The Birthday Boy--Radu
and then the Numa Numa song came on...dancing insued.
First, I want to say Hai Obama!! (Go Obama in Romanian) I'm thrilled that President-Elect Barack Obama won the election and broke the color-barrier to the White House. I'm proud to have worked on his campaign, and I'm proud of my country for the outstanding voter turnout!! So much for my generation being apathetic...way to show up and stand for something!! As a Peace Corps volunteer, I'm proud to be serving during President Obama's first term...
I could go on and on and on about how much I love that Obama won...and I assume if you are reading this you know me, which means you've probably already heard my pitch for Obama many times over so I'll spare you on here.
This week was rough. It started with my not sleeping to watch all the election results coming in...Obama gave his acceptance speech at 6:30 am so it was a long night! A lack of sleep led to me being tired all week. Then on Thursday I had class from 11-6 and had dinner with a student and his family afterwards. Friday consisted of classes and a fifth grade birthday party. This fifth grade birthday party was amazing. Romanian kids are far less insecure about dancing, hugging, kissing, speaking, etc. I danced, for what seemed like an hour, to Dragostea din tei (the Numa Numa song), had pizza and cake, and had my ear drums bombarded by incredibly loud Romanian and American dance music. It was wonderful to have been invited, and the family was excited to introduce me to their family and friends. It was nice, but now I'm ready to take some Nyquil and pass out. I'm getting sick and I can feel it.
This weekend I'm in Targu Mures to judge essays written by kids all over Romania. I'll post more on that when I return. For now enjoy some pictures of my students at the party tonight.
Ciprian

Ciprian
some of the girls doing a traditional Transylvanian dance
the boys got in on the dancing too
and then the Numa Numa song came on...dancing insued.

No comments:
Post a Comment