Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Saturday, March 7, 2009

March 8th

This year March 8th may usher in the beginning of Daylight Savings Time for you all back home, but since coming to Romania I've learned it's also International Women's Day. Although it was first celebrated in the U.S. in 1909 thanks to the Socialist Party of America, it is not a recognized national holiday in America. Most of the countries that observe International Women's Day are in Eastern Europe and Central/SE Asia. Men don't worry! Women's Day may get more attention, but there is an International Men's Day. It is November 19th!

International Women's Day comes on the heels of Marțișor, and here in Romania it's a pretty big deal because it's also observed as an equivalent to Mother's Day. Women are certainly the center of attention during the first week of March! I've never received so many flowers nor have I been kissed on the cheeks so many times! I even got a ficus from my students in 6B that I'm going to try not to kill!

Last night all us teachers gathered at Tarnava Restaurant to celebrate the occasion with good food and lots of drinks. To be more specific, I had lots of food and drinks...most of my colleagues observe Post (Lent in the Orthodox church) and this required that they abstain from alcohol, meat, etc... Afterwards I went out with friends to the Crama in town and just enjoyed a fun Friday night.

It may not be an observed holiday, but this year is the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day in the U.S. I'm embarrassed I didn't know about it earlier. After researching it a bit here, http://www.un.org/events/women/iwd/2009/ , I was reminded how many oppourtinties I take for granted thanks to all the women who struggled in the past. Although I care about all human rights causes regardless of gender, March 8th seems like a good day to see how we can help women suffering all over the world!

To all you wonderful ladies reading this --La Multi Ani! You are remarkable! Thank you for being such great examples for women around the world!


No comments:

Post a Comment