I'm a little late in writing this...Marțișor is celebrated on March 1st. I'll spare you the history lesson about it even though some archaeologists assert that it dates back around 8000 years! Long story short it's basically a YAY! it's Spring celebration! For Marțișor, children bring the people they love (mostly women) little tokens tied with red and white ribbon/string. I've got about a million of them so I'll post a picture when I have some more time.
It was odd...as soon as the 1st of March came the weather changed, kids (both of the human and sheep varieties) came out to play, and people I haven't seen since September ventured out of their homes and into town. On my walk home from school I can hear the sounds Vivaldi's Four Seasons, the Primavera part of course, drifting through the subtle spring breeze. I thought celebrating the beginning of Spring with gifts and flowers was kind of useless until I experienced Marțișor; Spring is an awakening with trees in blossom and flowers beginning to bloom. It doesn't only apply to nature; people's souls are reawakened from the cold depths of winter, and that is what Marțișor is all about! I'm starting to see why Spring is my counterpart, Monica's, favorite season.
I'm from Indiana so I'm just waiting for a cold spell to sweep into my little part of the Transylvanian plateau, but until then I'm going outside to enjoy a little football with the kids in my neighborhood!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment