Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Monday, January 4, 2010

My Romanian Revelion/New Year!

I was still jet-lagged and in English speaking mode when I got back to Romania and took a train ride from Bucharest to Medias.  My friends Dana and Relu met me at the train station at 12:30 am and dropped me off at my apartment to get a few hours of sleep before I had to head out again in the morning.  I left the packing for the morning and crashed on my bed fully clothed.  My alarm went off, in what felt like 20 minutes, and I was up and getting ready to head to Toplita  for some skiing and to celebrate the arrival of 2010!!

Wait!?  It's 2010 already??  I remember thinking in May 2008 that my Peace Corps service would be ending in 2010...back then it seemed like forever away, but now it's staring me smack dab in the face.  Yikes!

Anywho.  Dana, Relu, Florin, Tunde, Flori, Bebe, Monica, and myself piled into cars with luggage, ski equipment, food, wine, blankets, movies, games, and more.  I spent the first day periodically taking naps to get over the jetlag.  I was wide awake at 3am because I was still on Indiana time which was only 8pm.  After the first day of sleeping I was fully recuperated, and I went out to brave the snow and slopes.  I absolutely suck at snow skiing.  Don't let me do it again!  My bumps and bruises are still healing, but Dana was very comforting when she told me last year our friend Geza took 3 hours to complete a 2 mile long ski trail.  At least I made it in only 20 minutes and 2 major falls.  LOL!

Days were spent out in the snow and nights we were all in the kitchen or around the table making food and playing games.  It was a great 5 days, and I'm so lucky to have been able to spend New Years with my great Romanian friends.  We took a trip up to Borsec, which here in Romania is famous for its natural sparkling water springs.  We also drove and hiked through the Calamani National Park which was strikingly beautiful and a blast.  Bebe was trying to teach me how to drive stick shift, but we both decided that deep snow was probably not the best road conditions for me to be learning in.  All in all it was a new years I'll never forget!

There was no Dick Clark, no Times Square, no ball drop on television, no cheeseballs, no Ryan Seacrest to annoy me, no Miller Lite, no taco dip or other typical foods I usually have; but there was a champagne toast and the resolution to make 2010 just a bit better than and just as unforgettable as 2009!  Happy New Year!  La Multi Ani! 

Pictures coming soon... They're on Dana's camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment