It may be my birthday, but my ankles don't seem to care.
After baking a bunch of goodies to take to school to celebrate with my colleagues (in Romania you treat your friends rather than the other way around), I was walking over to Dana & Relu's to hang out for a bit. My neighborhood isn't well lit and there was a hole in the asphalt. In an instant I was on the ground after rolling my ankle and listening to it pop like I've done so many times before. As I sat on the cold pavement in the midst of it snowing, one of my students walked by and gave me a friendly "Hello Miss Tara!" He thought nothing of the fact I was sitting outside in the cold and continued on his way. I managed to pick myself up and gingerly climbed 4 flights of stairs...finally arriving 20 minutes later at Dana and Relu's apartment. Yeah it took me a while...I crashed on the floor, and like she's done so many times before, Dana took care of me. She grabbed me some ice, helped me elevate my ankle, got me something to drink, and then we proceeded to watch Bear Grylls conquer nature on tv. As my mother likes to say, "Thank God for Dana and Relu!" Indeed!
I've been dreading the moment when the pervasive and treacherous uneven surfaces throughout my Transylvanian town got the best of my ankles. Life becomes much more difficult for a Peace Corps volunteer when they are unable to merge pe jos (Romanian for "to go by foot"). I plan on at least making an attempt to get to school tomorrow, and in the next few days I must also move into my new apartment and transfer all my belongings across town. For some unknown reason, I have lots of people who love me in Tarnaveni that have offered their help! I'm blessed. Grace!
Back to this turning 26 nonsense. I've been having a hard time dealing with it because to me 26 is a real, grown-up age. I know I know...age is just a number right?! I think my issues are more about the impending completion of my Peace Corps service rather than my actual age. If we are being honest, lots of Peace Corps volunteers will tell you that besides having passion for helping others, and thirsting for adventure, we were also wanting to postpone the "real world" for a smidge. Maybe they wouldn't use the word "smidge," but I did so deal with it. Contemplating post-PC life over the past month has been scary and stressful. I know I want to teach history, work with human rights organizations, and go back to the Hoosier state...hold on a second! I'm being ridiculous! What I am trying to say is-- Peace Corps has been amazing, I have loved living in Transylvania, my eyes and soul have seen things I never dreamed of, and I have people that love me, weak ankles and all. Bring it on 26 and the real world. I can take whatever you have in store!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You don't start living until age 50! Trevor will be 20 then!! Woo Hoo. Gab club girls are all going on a cruise when we turn 50
ReplyDelete