Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Saturday, August 23, 2008

OLYMPICS

I've had some questions recently about my response to the Olympics from Romania so I thought I'd share a brief observation.

The Olympics are definately not as hyped here in Romania as in the United States, but I think that is to be expected. I think Romanian athletes have performed extremely well throughout the games...total Romania has achieved at least one of every medal. It was a surprise to me that Handball is such a big sport here. People love it. I didn't know what it was until arriving in Ploiesti. I think it's a mix between soccer and basketball, and if you ask me I prefer regular old basketball. Of course I realize you didn't ask me, but I am from Indiana so you probably saw that one coming. I watch at least one event everyday on my tv...sometimes I watch it in Hungarian and understand nothing and at other times I watch in Romanian and understand some. Honestly talking about the Olympics with Romanians has only served as another example of the positive view most Romanian people have of America. I like that! I cheer for both the U.S. and Romania currently, but I've always been a big believer in wanting everyone to compete to the best of their ability regardless of what nationality they sport on their jersey, leotard, swimsuit, etc. Isn't that kind of the whole point of the Olympics??!

GO USA and HAI ROMANIA!

No comments:

Post a Comment