Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Week 1 in Tarnaveni--My New Home

Week one in Tarnaveni has been a mixture of different experiences and emotions. I often struggle to put my feelings into words, but for the sake of all of you that want to know how I’m doing I will try my best. Honestly, I’m start to feel more comfortable here, but I’m unsure of my ability to integrate into a community. Granted I’ve only been here for 5 days, and it is far too early to doubt that I’ll ever walk around town and easily converse with the townspeople. Today is 8-8-08, the opening day of the Olympics. I love the Olympics, and it has always brought out my patriotism…it is weird to experience it while living in another country.

What’s the first thing you think of when I say Romania?? Don’t say vampires…do you think Nadia Comaneci?? Good for you if you did. Okay I know that was random, but I like it!

Soon I will post some pictures of my apartment, but I want to get a little more settled before I do that. Everything is suitable and in some ways superior to what I expected when joining the Peace Corps. I have indoor plumbing, a TV, a stove, a fridge, and as of this weekend I’ll have a phone/internet/cable!! I’m very grateful to have so many comforts…although I have experienced having bed bugs, showering without a shower curtain, a mixture of cold and freaking hot water, using a gas stove for the first time, and general isolation. Feel free to laugh…I know it’s not bad and I’m not complaining! I actually rejoice in my present circumstances! My landlady is wonderful, I feel safe in my community, I’m learning how to cook for myself all over again (so much for frozen pizzas, Hot Pockets, and grandma’s house). I go out a couple nights a week with friends for a beer or two and try my best to speak in Romanian --but it ends up being something I call Romglish. I knew that August was going to be rough…there are things going on at home that hurt to miss and I very much wish I could be there to comfort and/or encourage my friends in need. I’m a prayer warrior though, and I know that only God controls what will happen. What did Martin Luther say?? “Pray and let God worry.” I will do just that, but know that you are always on my mind and in my heart; thousands of miles cannot effect that!
I’ve made some friends here and am going camping this weekend near a lake in the mountains! Transylvania is (in my humble opinion) one of the most beautiful regions of the world I’ve seen. The contrasts in nature are beautiful…yesterday for instance as the sun was blazing down on the greenery covering the rolling hills of the Transylvanian plateau, I couldn’t help but wonder at the young trees at the base of the hill gleaming in bright greens and yellows and the way their youth and color contrasted with the age and deep, dark green hues of the fir trees that dominate the Romanian landscape in Transylvania and the Carpathian Mountains. Did I describe that well enough? I hope so, but it truly is a delight to see. I haven’t forgotten how beautiful my home in Indiana is…I do long to see kids shooting baskets in the driveways, the cornstalks standing tall in August, the thousands of glints on the lake in the early morning before boats are out, dew on the golf course at 6 am…but I love experiencing the similarities and differences with my current home and the home I carry in my heart. Well this got sappy (no tree pun intended) in a hurry so I will bid you a fond la revedere. Pa Pa! Te Iubesc!

1 comment:

  1. I immediately thought of Nadia! I am also enjoying watching Michael Phelps kick absolutely everybody's butt in every event he swims. Guess that is the swimmer coming out in me. You are expressing yourself very nicely. Love ya
    Aunt Lisa

    ReplyDelete