As I walked to school today the fear of my absence having gone unnoticed gradually increased as the caruta's (horse drawn carts) passed by me carrying loads of hay. When I first got here all I wanted was to fit in and to not have everyone in town gawking at me like I was an alien. Now that wish has become more of a reality I kind of want the attention again. Is that a bad thing?? A few of the other teachers did ask how Ciuc was or where I had been. Most of them seemed perfectly content greeting me with a "Servus" as they continued writing in their notebooks or the Condica. I want so badly to share my passion for education with my colleagues at school...I think most of them had it at one time, but the bureaucracy of the education system and years of the same lessons have worn them down. It is going to be hard for me to get through to them, but I'm not going to go down without a fight. My primary goal for my Peace Corps service is to help the children learn English and to fill their spirits with at least a flicker of hope, volunteerism, and a love of learning; however I do think I have something to give pedagogically to my colleagues as well.
When I left the cancelerie I held my head up (just like my Dad had always taught me to do) and walked like I usually do to class. Never will I let the negativity of others ruin my day. It wasn't that bad after all...I have no idea what their weeks were like, and it's a little egoistical of me to think things would be different without me there. It's just sometimes I think that they keep their distance because they know I leave in 2 years, and they don't want to get too attached and set themselves up for heartache in the future. My little town, as well as many other in Romania and Eastern Europe, is riddled with stories of family members and friends leaving in pursuit of better jobs abroad. I understand their hesitance, but I also just want them to be open to new methods of teaching. Luckily, my passion lies in the classroom, and my dedication goes to each of the students in my classes and school. When I entered the classroom, the students let out a deafening roar that persisted as I walked through the aisles to the front of the classroom.
THEY MISSED ME!! This was the reaction I was longing for...and I became cognizant of the fact that I missed them just as much. I missed Christian waving at me for no reason during class, Nicosor waiting in the hallway for my daily high-five, and just the overall look of eagerness and anticipation as I introduce the lesson for the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This is the most great story you write in here. I loved it so much, you know i appreciate literary stuff so:) liked it.
ReplyDeleteIoana