Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Indiana Primary

So I know this doesn't have much to do with the Peace Corps, but I need to comment. The Indiana Primary was yesterday, May 6 2008. Hillary won the closest of victories...I voted Obama. Regardless of who all of you in Indiana voted for, there was one factor that I found a little disconcerting. 17% of the democratic voters yesterday were in the 18-29 age group. What's up??!

Do you not believe that this election is important?? All elections are! Do you not stand for anything you are willing to take time out of your day to support?? I spend a lot of time defending my generation and saying that we are not apathetic... but maybe I'm wrong. If I am, then I am greatly disappointed in my friends and the youth of Indiana. Take a pride in your country! And if you choose not to vote... then don't bitch and complain. Don't expect your government to represent your best interests; you didn't take the time to let your interests be known. To those of you choosing not to vote based on civil disobedience, as long as you participate in other ways, I applaude you.

I keep hearing that we need change, but maybe the change that we need isn't centered in the government or the candidates for President. Maybe the change is in the hearts of the people, like those in Indiana, that could have made a difference and chose apathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment