I just ran to Targu Mures for a couple hours to pick up a package!! I got peach tea and gingersnaps and could not be more excited!! I'm pretty easy to please I guess! I love everything in the package, but I love even more that there is a personal significance to it! Little pieces of home make me happy!
Thank you Terri Worden!!! I love you!
On another note, while I was at the post office there was an older woman with a big package. She was struggling so I asked her if she needed help. I helped her tie down her package to her little cart contraption, and she was on her way after pinching my cheeks and saying "Multumesc draguta" (Thank you dear) over and over and telling me how cute I am. I'm starting to get used to all this affection from strangers...but every now and then I still recoil which is inevitably followed by a comment about me being American and needing personal space. Oh well!
Anyway, I'm not telling you this to show how wonderful and helpful I am...I'm saying this because yesterday I was the opposite. There were two, separate instances yesterday when I could have dropped what I was doing to help others, and I didn't. One woman just needed 20 bani (cents) and the other lady was worked up over something in the post office in Tarnaveni. In the first situation another woman beat me to the punch, but it's the second situation that kept me up last night. The woman was obviously upset, and I'll never know if I could have done something for her because I let my fear and insecurity with my Romanian hold me back. I feel horrible about it, but I'm very cognizant of how I'm perceived here. People are reluctant to ask for help in my town anyway...I don't want to throw around money during an economic crisis or act like I have all the answers. I just want to help people. I'll just have to keep doing my best and take each situation as it comes...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment