The title of this blog may scare you a bit.
No I'm not questioning joining the Peace Corps or coming to Romania!
I have been here for a little over 9 months now. That the length of time it takes to have a child; it's also the length of time one must abstain from alcohol when taking freaking TB medication (not that I would know!). I think you get the point...it's a significant amount of time. During these past 9 months I've grown comfortable in my town and with traveling in Romania for the most part.
My Bad Day:
It started at 7 am when I woke up. I got ready, and caught the bus to Targu Mures at 8:15. I arrived at the autogara (bus station) and walked 10 minutes to the post office in order to pick up a package. When I arrived at the posta there were lots of people standing with angry looks on their faces. The man who checks off packages was late! So I had to sit for an hour while my package lay 5 feet away on the counter in front of my face. At 10:30 I finally got my package and headed to Kaufland to do a little shopping for items I can't find in my little town. Then I walked back to the autogara in order to catch my bus at 12 so I could be back for class at 2.
At the autogara there was a man playing that game with 3 cups and one ball...you know the one I'm talking about, it's even on Price is Right! I was minding my own business when a man came up and told me to choose one of the cups. I said I wasn't interested and most of the people moved on to the next person that was, except for one man. This man must have decided it was harrassment day because he wouldn't leave me alone. He blew in my ear (and not seductively I might add), he grabbed my butt numerous times, and he even asked if I wanted to get a hotel room. Obviously I told him to leave me alone and I'm not interested on multiple occasions.
What I learned from this experience:
I realized that I have let my guard down slowly over the past several months. The told us not to do this during PST, but it's a natural reaction once a person grows more comfortable in his/her surroundings. It's just one of those things. I'm upset that it happened, but I have to watch how I react to it. Don't get me wrong I know this happens all over the world, and I'm not trying to make this out to be a Romania problem because it's not. I understand that I'm a foreigner and a woman in a society different from my own, and I'm often unaware how much attention I draw to myself. I hope nothing like this happens again, but if it does I hope I'm a little more prepared.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

oh, the post office. My worst experiences in Lithuania, by far, were in the post office. It doesn´t take too much imagination to picture your frustration... The concept of efficiency and costumer service seems completely foreign.
ReplyDelete