Where do you see yourself being the most effective?
It seems so basic, but I've never really thought about where I see myself being effective. I had tunnel-vision about what I thought a Peace Corps Volunteer should be, and I was giving everything I had to fit the mold. Why did I do that?? I've never seen myself as a person that did that sort of thing, but I guess I do in some ways. However, that's a conversation for a different time and place. I'm the happiest and the most effective when I'm in the classroom and when I'm playing sports with the kids. So my new goal, on top of the foreign language lab, is to get an intramural sports program started up in my town. Starting with my school, and then opening it up to anyone who would like to participate. We'll see what happens, but I think it's important to get kids away from the tv/computer. In order to do that they need something to do!! I was blessed growing up to have been part of teams and after-school programs...these do not exist in Romania apart from a few volleyball, basketball, football teams. So I guess I'm out of my little rutt (Sp? one T or two?). I might fail, but this is where I see myself being effective and worthwhile so I have to give it a solid effort.
Just a little add-on. I've been initiated into a club of older, retired ladies. I adore them, and they remind me of the club my Grandma has back home. I had lunch with them today, and they send their regards and best wishes for the New Year to my family and friends who must miss me prodigiously! They already know how much I miss you because they could see it on my face when the dessert was brought out--cut up oranges, bananas, and pineapple...one of my simple favorites back home.

No comments:
Post a Comment