Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009--Eating pork on New Years Day =moving forward??

Apparently it is customary here to eat pork on New Year's Day because pigs' snouts dig forward in the dirt. I've been around pigs my whole life, but it took coming to Romania to think about this. Dad--I thought you'd like that! For the rest of you--Yeah I don't get it either, but it made me really think about whether or not I'm making any forward progress of my own here.

I realized the other day that my blogging has been largely, maybe even unilaterally, positive. Even some fellow volunteers have made comments about my optimism and positive attitude...I don't see myself this way. So instead of just being shiny, happy Tara...I'm going to be honest. I was told that this part of Peace Corps is often a low-point for volunteers because it's difficult to gauge any progress or impact. That's where I am. The new year brings all my goals and objectives for service to the forefront of my thoughts, and right now I just feel like a failure. In the soft light of early morning or the quiet stillness of night...I struggle with the realities of being a Peace Corps volunteer. I don't want to look back on my time here in Tarnaveni, and think of all the things I could have done...even if I fail I want to have tried.

Don't feel bad for me. I knew there would be these moments. What I always come back to is my teaching philosophy...if I've made an impact on even one student/Romanian my Peace Corps service will have been a success, and they've already made a significant impact on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment